Today, we celebrate the Declaration of Independence, but haven’t you ever wondered how the British reacted to it?
Did you know there was a rebuttal?
Well, there was. A 142 page rebuttal by a Tory pamphleteer named John Lind titled ‘Answer to the Declaration of the American Congress’, and written in the same snarky tone as an attack ad.
But like most attack ads, it also contained a few facts that the rebels didn’t want to face. You remember the part where the Declaration says King George (quote) ‘has incited domestic insurrections among us…’?
John Lind points out that what the rebels were really upset about was that the King had ‘offered freedom to the slaves.’ Quote: ‘Is it for them to say that it is tyranny to bid a slave be free?’
Lind goes on to mock the founders for writing noble words stating, ‘all men are created equal’ and asserting ‘Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness’ and then in the same document, complaining about the King for encouraging the slaves to rise up.
‘Is it for them to complain of the offer of freedom held out to these wretched beings? of the offer of reinstating that equality, which, in this very paper, is declared to be the gift of God to all?’
Of course the British knew a wedge issue when they saw it, and they also had a military agenda in wanting to free the slaves.
But even as we celebrate our separation from the mother country, we have to acknowledge, as Jefferson himself would have, that on this point at least, Mom was right."
- bonethugsnhermione reblogged this from bonethugsnhermione
- defconinsp reblogged this from crotchgunsamurai
- xorxon reblogged this from thegeicobrothers
- newyorkaddicts reblogged this from inothernews
- uberfunn likes this
- jadelyntate reblogged this from rainbo-nerd
- kicktheday reblogged this from inothernews
- lamashtar reblogged this from thusspakekate
- humanracing likes this
- rosezemlya likes this
- spacehelmetforacow likes this
- hey-sugar-hey likes this
- maxkazaam likes this
- darmiyaan likes this
- largeleftboob reblogged this from not-rubato
- stopcallingmebitch reblogged this from not-rubato
- laffbending likes this
- aestheticsmaxima reblogged this from astroprojection
- missmakomori likes this
- astroprojection reblogged this from not-rubato
- penguinsledding likes this
- wingsandtails reblogged this from not-rubato
- not-rubato reblogged this from ethiopienne
- anquex likes this
- crowtendr likes this
- humboldtoctober reblogged this from inothernews
- den-of-lyons reblogged this from inothernews
- crazyladyofcats reblogged this from skeptic-or-true-believer
- crazyladyofcats likes this
- studies-in-ontology reblogged this from ethiopienne
- kelliwisethebrave likes this
- stonecoldcarter likes this
- xero-phobia reblogged this from diaryofafraud
- hagosa likes this
- sunkenlibrary reblogged this from junk-pile
- latinagabi likes this
- jepatterson likes this
- emmazapdos reblogged this from blue-author
- emmazapdos likes this
- roszika reblogged this from shitberries
- roszika likes this
- raqqerss reblogged this from diaryofafraud
- candialecticsbreakbricks likes this
- diaryofafraud reblogged this from manjolras
- amberfox17 likes this
- thebloggerknownasgeeknip reblogged this from deletingunfollowthis
- deletingunfollowthis reblogged this from bubonickitten
- nodivision reblogged this from shitberries
- the-librarian-princess reblogged this from kat-rampant