"“As soon as teenage girls start to profess love for something, everyone else becomes totally dismissive of it. Teenage girls are open season for the cruelest bullying that our society can dream up. Everyone’s vicious to them. They’re vicious to each other. Hell, they’re even vicious to themselves. It’s terrible.
“So if teenage girls have something that they love, isn’t that a good thing? Isn’t it better for them to find some words they believe in, words like the ‘fire-proof and fearless’ lyrics that Jacqui wrote? Isn’t it better for them to put those words on their arm in a tattoo than for them to cut gashes in that same skin? Shouldn’t we be grateful when teenage girls love our work? Shouldn’t that be a fucking honor?
“It’s used as the cheapest, easiest test of crap, isn’t it? If teenage girls love a movie, a book, a band, then it’s immediately classified as mediocre shit. Well, I’m not going to stand for that. Someone needs to treat them like they’re precious, and if nobody else is ready to step up, I guess it’s up to us to put them on the path to recognizing that about themselves.”"
a character from The Devil’s Mixtape. (via valjeans)
Every now and then, something comes along on your dash that opens your eyes and makes you question assumptions you didn’t even realize you were making.
This former teenage girl fell in love with Rush, RPGs, Russian literature, ancient history, sci fi flicks, and Led Zeppelin. I’d say she had pretty good taste. So why have I always defaulted to marginalizing or dismissing the tastes of other teenage girls? Why have I always counted the large teenage female presence in fandom as a black mark against it, or at least something that needs to be explained or surmounted for older fans to participate or engage? Why have I assumed that teenage girls as a whole are incapable of critical analysis or meaningful engagement with the same media that I enjoy, when it was the critical analysis and meaningful engagement of a teenage girl that got me into much of the same media I enjoy now?
Wow. Talk about not even recognizing the patriarchy at work.
seriously, this just made me feel like a fucking asshole, which is always a sign that i’ve learned something important.
I think I like the commentary above more than even the quote itself. It’s cool when just a quote can make people really rethink their positions.
I’ve been guilty of this sin, of this I’m certain. But I am going to work to undo the awful work done unto me and done by me.(via alter-eagle)
- mademoisellerosie likes this
- hollowqueens reblogged this from pauldierden
- plebeianyouth reblogged this from fatpunks
- ofprometheus reblogged this from pauldierden
- bigandlittlewords likes this
- biblionerd likes this
- brains0nt0ast reblogged this from femmert15
- remusmccall reblogged this from pauldierden
- zoestertoaster1234 likes this
- becomethecolour likes this
- jazzonacloud likes this
- aarontveitsbaseballpants reblogged this from pauldierden
- cerebrosbeforehoes likes this
- mollysmb likes this
- rockymthorrorshow likes this
- femmert15 reblogged this from pauldierden
- pauldierden reblogged this from blowingwinds
- wemustbeoldernow reblogged this from superflyse
- superflyse reblogged this from goneawayawhile
- freee-livinn likes this
- 7hailey likes this
- melancholiavibes reblogged this from bra-dispute
- exceptionallylovely likes this
- infinity-letters reblogged this from anamazing
- infinity-letters likes this
- pancakesandanime reblogged this from zephyrscribe
- wolfgirldragon likes this
- whisperwhisk likes this
- elsandwhich likes this
- liverpuddle likes this
- queenoftheuruloki reblogged this from theseerasures
- theseerasures reblogged this from beingfacetious
- flawlessdystopia likes this
- phosphenesandfernweh reblogged this from psychetimelapse
- amanda---katherine reblogged this from goneawayawhile
- dancer055 likes this
- moloa likes this
- i-am-just-a-panda likes this
- electrafemme likes this
- belle-a-beauty reblogged this from flywithmewendy
- detectivebayliss reblogged this from beingfacetious
- alstcl likes this
- elegies likes this
- flywithmewendy reblogged this from timelordsandvagabonds
- uneven likes this
- timelordsandvagabonds reblogged this from beingfacetious
- beingfacetious reblogged this from goneawayawhile
- quatorz likes this
- marry-me-naya likes this
- perfect-porcelain-disaster likes this