"“As soon as teenage girls start to profess love for something, everyone else becomes totally dismissive of it. Teenage girls are open season for the cruelest bullying that our society can dream up. Everyone’s vicious to them. They’re vicious to each other. Hell, they’re even vicious to themselves. It’s terrible.
“So if teenage girls have something that they love, isn’t that a good thing? Isn’t it better for them to find some words they believe in, words like the ‘fire-proof and fearless’ lyrics that Jacqui wrote? Isn’t it better for them to put those words on their arm in a tattoo than for them to cut gashes in that same skin? Shouldn’t we be grateful when teenage girls love our work? Shouldn’t that be a fucking honor?
“It’s used as the cheapest, easiest test of crap, isn’t it? If teenage girls love a movie, a book, a band, then it’s immediately classified as mediocre shit. Well, I’m not going to stand for that. Someone needs to treat them like they’re precious, and if nobody else is ready to step up, I guess it’s up to us to put them on the path to recognizing that about themselves.”"
a character from The Devil’s Mixtape. (via valjeans)
Every now and then, something comes along on your dash that opens your eyes and makes you question assumptions you didn’t even realize you were making.
This former teenage girl fell in love with Rush, RPGs, Russian literature, ancient history, sci fi flicks, and Led Zeppelin. I’d say she had pretty good taste. So why have I always defaulted to marginalizing or dismissing the tastes of other teenage girls? Why have I always counted the large teenage female presence in fandom as a black mark against it, or at least something that needs to be explained or surmounted for older fans to participate or engage? Why have I assumed that teenage girls as a whole are incapable of critical analysis or meaningful engagement with the same media that I enjoy, when it was the critical analysis and meaningful engagement of a teenage girl that got me into much of the same media I enjoy now?
Wow. Talk about not even recognizing the patriarchy at work.
seriously, this just made me feel like a fucking asshole, which is always a sign that i’ve learned something important.
I think I like the commentary above more than even the quote itself. It’s cool when just a quote can make people really rethink their positions.
I’ve been guilty of this sin, of this I’m certain. But I am going to work to undo the awful work done unto me and done by me.(via alter-eagle)
- not-quite-home reblogged this from kageyammer
- thisoneblogger reblogged this from kippysmom
- kippysmom reblogged this from swiftfeminism
- meerasc likes this
- emilyauditore reblogged this from startrekspeare
- cryptomanic reblogged this from ddemonio
- merrrblaa likes this
- merrrblaa reblogged this from ddemonio
- goodlucksymone reblogged this from ddemonio
- ddemonio reblogged this from sexcoffeeandpoetry
- thelittlestpsychopath reblogged this from tinyjutsu
- soundoftherain reblogged this from universallongings
- pinktheatre likes this
- rachnuss likes this
- iloveyouandilikeyou likes this
- imacrispian reblogged this from universallongings
- imacrispian likes this
- universallongings reblogged this from rockinpolkadots
- rockinpolkadots reblogged this from distractedbyshinyobjects
- kamamo1 reblogged this from levysenpai
- kamamo1 likes this
- erosoverthanatos likes this
- delreysdiamonds reblogged this from sexcoffeeandpoetry
- sexcoffeeandpoetry likes this
- sexcoffeeandpoetry reblogged this from cardcaptorswagkura
- swishadonius likes this
- wasteof-s-p-a-c-e likes this
- niwandajones reblogged this from cardcaptorswagkura
- niwandajones likes this
- foxmulderlosthissister likes this
- cardcaptorswagkura reblogged this from virginiawoolves
- virginiawoolves reblogged this from jayandsilentboob
- fearless-dreamer likes this
- mademoisellerosie likes this
- hollowqueens reblogged this from pauldierden
- plebeianyouth reblogged this from fatpunks
- frankensteinsmonstergirl reblogged this from pauldierden
- bigandlittlewords likes this
- biblionerd likes this
- brains0nt0ast reblogged this from femmert15
- remusmccall reblogged this from pauldierden
- zoestertoaster1234 likes this
- jazzonacloud likes this
- aarontveitsbaseballpants reblogged this from pauldierden
- cerebrosbeforehoes likes this
- mollysmb likes this
- rockymthorrorshow likes this
- femmert15 reblogged this from pauldierden
- pauldierden reblogged this from blowingwinds
- wemustbeoldernow reblogged this from superflyse